- Legal News Updates
- Law Center
- Legal Business
- Court News Center
- Law Firm News
- Legal Interviews
- Headline News
- Political and Legal
- Practice Focuses
- Legal Spotlight
- Events & Seminars
- Legal Marketing
- Court Watch
- Immigration Law
- Media Center
- Justice Stories
- Supreme Court blocks some redrawn North Carolina districts
- Court allows Pennsylvania to redraw GOP-favored district map
- Court rules that Kushner firm must disclose partners' names
- Court rules Puigdemont must return to Spain for re-election
- Analysis: Outside groups may factor in Arkansas court race
- Pennsylvania GOP take gerrymandering case to US high court
- Top Pakistani court orders arrest of escaped police officer
- Malaysia's top court annuls unilateral conversions of minors
- Officials ask court to send Kennedy cousin back to prison
- Travel ban is headed back to a federal appeals court in Virginia
Chick wants to audit the City Attorney's handling of workers compensation lawsuits. Delgadillo claims the City Charter does not authorize the Controller to audit "any other elected city offices."
The tiff started this year when the City Council and the Controller asked Delgadillo's office whether the Controller can "compel the Office of the elected City Mayor to submit to a performance review of his management of the City's anti-gang programs," according to the Superior Court complaint.
Delgadillo said no.
Then, according to this lawsuit, "The Controller responded by publicly announcing that she would 'challenge' the City attorney's legal opinion 'on a separate day.'
"The Controller acted on her challenge - not by seeking a judicial review of Formal Opinion No. 2008:2 - but, instead, by seeking to compel a performance review of the Office of the City Attorney."
Delgadillo's lawsuit continues: "The Controller has gone so far as to cause an unlawful subpoena to be issued, knowing that failure to comply with a lawfully issued subpoena may be prosecuted criminally. Thirty minutes after the subpoena was issued, the Controller held a press conference to announce the issuance of the subpoena."Delgadillo's 39-page lawsuit pits the City of Los Angeles against the Los Angeles City Controller. He demands "that this Court enjoin the Controller from wasting any City resources that impermissibly seek to compel any performance audit of any elected office, including a program administered by an elected office."
Legal News Media
Legal News Organization press is the top headline legal news provider for lawyers and legalprofessionals. Read law articles and breaking news from law firm's across the United States to get the latest updates. The content contained on the web site has been prepared by Legal News Media as a service to the internet
community and is not intended to constitute legal advice or a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional in a particular case or circumstance.