- Legal News Updates
- Law Center
- Legal Business
- Court News Center
- Law Firm News
- Legal Interviews
- Headline News
- Political and Legal
- Practice Focuses
- Legal Spotlight
- Events & Seminars
- Legal Marketing
- Court Watch
- Immigration Law
- Media Center
- Justice Stories
- Supreme Court blocks some redrawn North Carolina districts
- Court allows Pennsylvania to redraw GOP-favored district map
- Court rules that Kushner firm must disclose partners' names
- Court rules Puigdemont must return to Spain for re-election
- Analysis: Outside groups may factor in Arkansas court race
- Pennsylvania GOP take gerrymandering case to US high court
- Top Pakistani court orders arrest of escaped police officer
- Malaysia's top court annuls unilateral conversions of minors
- Officials ask court to send Kennedy cousin back to prison
- Travel ban is headed back to a federal appeals court in Virginia
Throughout their lives, Beverly Bowker and Rowena Madrigal heard rumors of the switch. They were born on the morning of July 27, 1946, at Standing Rock Hospital in Fort Yates, N.D.
Madrigal's mother went so far as to say she "belonged with the Bowkers." When the two met in their 20s, Bowker noticed that Madrigal looked similar to her brother.
In 2002, Michael Ryan, the man who raised Madrigal, sought DNA paternity testing to determine if he is her biological father. The test results said there is a zero percent chance, but there was a 99.4 percent chance that he is Bowker's father.
Ryan and the two daughters sued the government, but the district court ruled that the statute of limitations has expired. They had only two years to file a claim, and the court ruled that because they suspected the switch as early as the 1970s, they waited too long.
"The statute of limitations is designed to guard against just the sort of difficulties that would be presented by attempting to litigate this case more than 60 years after the alleged injuries occurred," the court concluded in a per curiam opinion.
Legal News Media
Legal News Organization press is the top headline legal news provider for lawyers and legalprofessionals. Read law articles and breaking news from law firm's across the United States to get the latest updates. The content contained on the web site has been prepared by Legal News Media as a service to the internet
community and is not intended to constitute legal advice or a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional in a particular case or circumstance.